Participating airlines are audited annually against the tightest set of rules worldwide, including at least 40 criteria such as emissions factors, calculation methodologies, project methodologies, registry retiral, radiative forcing index, Green Claims compliance, pricing and providing accurate information.
Airlines with their own carbon offset programs can apply directly to the QAS to have their offsets audited, approved and awarded the QAS Quality Mark, or alternatively IATA can both set up the carbon offset program and handle the QAS application as responsible provider.
To find out more, please contact us.
- One recognisable Quality Mark to make good carbon offsets easy to find
- Better information on the websites you buy your flights and carbon offsets from
- Reassurance that you are buying carbon offsets with the toughest quality control worldwide
- Protect reputation through compliance with the world’s most stringent standards, audited annually by a respected independent auditor
- Stand out from other airline carbon offsets
- Improve passenger participation with a stronger message, reassurance on quality and independent verification of standards
- Promote your program with the Carbon Neutral Quality Mark
There is simply no alternative to aviation when it comes to long distance travel. Aviation contributes around 2% of man-made global CO2 emissions. We take this challenge seriously and we have to improve our fuel efficiency by over 70% since we first started flying jets. We are one of the only global sectors to have a robust and ambitious plan in place to reduce emissions by 2050 to half of what they were in 2005. Airline carbon offsets form a part of our overall strategy and is an immediate, direct and pragmatic means to encourage action to limit climate change s, at least in the short-term.
An integral part of any quality carbon offset program is independent certification to ensure that both the carbon calculation methodology and offsets are of the highest standard and quality. The IATA Carbon Offset Program and the airlines associated with it have been independently certified by the QAS, complying with the most comprehensive and stringent audit mechanism for offsetting. IATA and the airlines in the program are proud to carry the QAS logo as seal of approval and credibility.